Transferring into SOE from within Rutgers (School-to-School)

Transfer Application (School-to-School)

Currently matriculated students at Rutgers University (New Brunswick, Camden or Newark) may submit an online application through Rutgers Admissions School-to-School Transfer webpage. The online application is open from October 1st to December 1st for spring transfer and from February 1st to June 1st for fall transfer.  The School to School transfer application is NOT permitted for non-matriculated students at Rutgers University.

Transfer Requirements

  • Students must complete a minimum of 12 credits at Rutgers University before the transfer.
  • Students must complete and obtain a 2.00 average or better (New Brunswick), (2.50 average or better for Camden/Newark)  in:  Calculus I & II (01:640:151 &152), Analytical Physics I (01:750:123 & 124), and Chemistry I (01:160:159) before the transfer.  For transfer evaluation, School of Engineering recognizes the following course equivalencies: 
    • 01:640:151 = 01:640:135 (Please note that for Calc II, 01:640:136 can NOT be used to replace 01:640:152)
    •  01:160:159* = 01:160:161 = 01:160:163 = 01:160:165
    •  01:750:123/124 = 01:750:203/205 = 01:750:115/116 = 01:750:271/275 = 01:750:201 = 01:750:193.  
  • Students can be in progress to complete the required courses when they submit an application, so long as the course is completed in a timely manner.
  • *While Chemistry I Lab - Introduction to Experimentation 01:160:171 (1 credit) is not required to transfer to SOE it is a graduation requirement and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to complete this course while enrolling in Chemistry 159 or Chemistry 161 before the transfer.
  • For the Spring 2020, Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters ONLY grades of "P" for PASS will satisfy the grade requirements for any of the required STEM courses listed above at either Rutgers-New Brunswick, Rutgers-Newark or Rutgers-Camden.

For required courses completed outside of Rutgers, the same guidelines used for external applicants will be applied:

  • Students must have earned a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.75 (out of 4.0) with no "Ds" or "Fs" in the required STEM courses when the application is submitted. Given the competitiveness of our transfer programs, we look for students with a grade-point average of at least 2.75 with no D’s or F’s among the required STEM courses.  Students seeking to use a required course taken outside of Rutgers, must submit an official transcript from their previous institution to Dean Robert Ciervo in Room B100, Engineering Building, Busch Campus, 98 Brett Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854.

GPA Requirements:

  • Rutgers-New Brunswick:  must have earned a cumulative grade-point average of 2.25 (with no D’s or F’s in the required STEM courses) when the application is submitted. 
  • Rutgers-Newark or Rutgers-Camden:  must have earned a cumulative grade-point average of 2.75 (with no D’s or F’s in the required STEM courses) when the application is submitted.
  • Given the competitiveness of our transfer programs, we look for students with a grade-point average of at least 2.50 (outside of Rutgers-NB including Rutgers-Camden/Newark) or 2.00 (New Brunswick) among the required STEM courses.  If you have D’s or F’s in any of these required courses, you must retake them and get the grades replaced before you can be considered for transfer.


Transfer Advising

  • Prospective Transfer Students can meet with an SOE Advisor during virtual drop in advising through WebEx.  Days and times are as follows for Spring 2023: 
    Walk in advising with Dean Ciervo on M and Th from 3pm-4pm starting January 30, 2023 here:

Transfer Preparation

Rutgers-New Brunswick:  Prospective transfer students attending Rutgers-New Brunswick are recommended to take the relevant courses (or the equivalencies) from the engineering curriculum.  For example, even though Chem II (01:160:160 or 162) is no longer required for transfer, it is still a required course by all Engineering majors except Electrical & Computer Engineering.  It is recommended that students complete most of the first-year courses on the engineering curriculum before joining the SOE.  In addition to the courses required for transfer, students should plan on completing the courses listed below before the transfer.  Note that Engineering Orientation (14:440:100) is NOT required for transfer students.

NON-engineering courses:

  • Introduction to Experimentation (01:160:171)
  • Chem II (01:160:160 or 162, not required by ECE)
  • English Expository Writing (01:355:101)

Engineering courses, requiring special permission numbers: (these courses are only available to NON-SOE students AFTER all current engineers have registered, and if there are seats remaining)

  • Introduction to Computer for Engineers (14:440:127)
  • Eng Mech: Statics (14:440:221, pre-req: Physics I)

Taking Engineering Courses with Special Permissions

Non-engineering students at Rutgers-New Brunswick may be eligible to register for engineering courses (14:xxx:xxx) if there are seats available AFTER the early registration period.  Please make sure that you have completed all the pre-reqs for the courses you plan to take.  For Spring 2023 registration:

  • General Engineering course (14:440:221-Statics):  - ALL SPNs for Statics for Non-Engineering students have been given out for the Spring 2023 term.  Thanks.
  • General Engineering course 14:440:127- Matlab:  this course will open up to any Rutgers-New Brunswick student who has the pre-requisite completed on Friday, January 13, 2023 on web registration at
  • Engineering Economics 14:540:343  this course will open up to any Rutgers-New Brunswick student who has the pre-requisite completed on Friday, January 13, 2023 on web registration at
  • Engineering major courses (14:xxx:xxx):  Please be aware that Engineering Major courses (14:xxx:xxx) are only available to admitted school to school transfers, or to prospective transfer students in good academic standing who have completed all other entry requirements.  

For non-engineering courses, you should contact the academic department that offers the course for a special permission number.  For example, you should contact the Chemistry Dept. if you are trying to get into a closed chemistry course (01:160:xxx).  Some departments have online request forms for SPNs such as the Math Dept. (01:640:xxx) and the Physics Dept. (01:750:xxx).  Other departments may advise you to attend the class and talk to the professor first before getting a special permission number. 


After you accept the admission, you may submit an application to be on the waiting list for on-campus housing. Please call 732-932-1001 if you have any questions with housing. Housing is offered to school-to-school transfers on a space available basis and is not guaranteed. It is advisable to consider off-campus housing as an alternative if necessary.

Contact Information

For transfer related questions contact Assistant Dean Robert Ciervo or Academic Advisor Jasmine Bundy at

Office of Academic Services, School of Engineering
98 Brett Road, Engineering B100, Piscataway, NJ 08854
Phone: (848) 445-2212  Web: