Credit Load - Maximum And Minimum
Rutgers University - School of Engineering, is a full time day program. Students wishing to go below 12cr or above 19/21cr during the semester (9cr in summer) must submit a request.
Is this Part-Time form for you?
- If you don't need any courses dropped, do not submit this form. Just register for what you need.
- If you want to drop a course with a W while the semester is in progress, do not submit this form. Instead see Add/Drop page.
For Engineering students who need a course dropped in order to pursue less than 12cr (ie. before the semester begins):
- Timeline: Submit this form at least 1 month prior to the start of the semester. If the form is submitted thereafter, expect a delay in processing time.
- Implications: A credit load < 12cr may have implications on on-campus housing, financial aid, health insurance. The student must check with these offices on their own. If you live in on-campus housing, you MUST be full-time, except in your final semester.
- International students: must check with Global Services first for part-time, as full-time is normally required except in the final semester. Reduced Credit form is required for International Students.
- Part-time status may make you ineligible for services like: University Housing, Financial Aid, or coverage on your family health insurance. You can purchase inexpensive health insurance from the University.
- Part-Time Request
What happens after submission? A dean will review your request, will make necessary registration updates, and will contact you via email if there are any further questions. It may take 1-5 business days for you to see the registration updates on your record.*Note: This form is NOT for dropping courses. See advisor if you would like to drop courses.
Engineering students who wish to go over 19-21cr during the semester (or over 9cr in the summer, or over 3cr in winter) must submit their request here. Before the semester begins, the credit max is 19cr. After the semester begins, the credit max is 21cr. First year students need to see the 1st yr dean.
- Completed at least 1 semester of full time courses at RU with grades.
- 3.0+ cumulative gpa required. If your gpa is below 3.0, it is unlikely that your request will be approved.
- 3.0+ term gpa in the prior semester, no D/F/W grades.
- If you also need a special permission number or pre-req override, please see the dept that teaches the course and include it on this form; B100 cannot issue SPN’s or pre-req overrides.
- If you do not need an overload, but have a registration request that you cannot handle using webreg.rutgers.edu, see Special Registration.
- Freshmen must wait to have their Fall grades finalized before receiving approval for an overload for the spring semester.
What happens after submission? A dean will review your request, will make necessary registration updates, and will contact you via email if there are any further questions. It may take 1-5 business days for you to see the registration updates on your record.