Minors, Majors, And Dual Degrees

Minors, majors, and dual degrees provide students with the opportunity to broaden skill sets outside of engineering. Often times you can choose your courses so that they can be ‘double-counted’ – meaning that the courses will count towards your minor (or major, or dual degree), and count towards engineering. Many of the technical minors (math, computer science, life sciences, etc.) can often count for both the minor and as part of the technical electives for the engineering major. Many of the humanities/social science minors (history, psychology, languages, economics, etc.) can count for the minor and as the humanities requirements.  

Engineering students are often eligible for minors, 2nd majors, or certificate programs from New Brunswick schools: SAS, RBS, Bloustein, SCI, and SEBS.  Some examples:

Students should carefully plan out their courses so as to minimize any extra time required to complete the primary engineering major and any supplemental minors or majors.


When to Submit Minor Forms 2nd Major Forms
sophomore/junior Minor Declaration 2nd Major Declaration  
final semester    Minor Certification   2nd Major Certification

How do Minors fit in the engineering curriculum?

Technical Minor: A math minor consists of Calc I –IV, Linear Algebra (640:250), and three upper level (300 or above) math courses. Many engineering majors have math courses in their technical elective list. The Mechanical Engineering curriculum has 2 technical elective requirements. There are five upper level math courses to choose from in their technical elective list. So, a student in the ME dept is already required to take Calc I – IV and Calc V. If (s)he took 640:250 and another math course to fulfill the two technical electives (but they cannot fulfill H/SS elective requirements), that would leave only one more math course needed for the minor. If the one general elective requirement is unfulfilled, the student can elect to take a math course here, completing the minor. 

Humanities/Social Science Minor: A Psychology minor consists of 6 courses (each of 3 credits or more) including 830:101. Each Engineering student must select 4 humanities electives. You can elect to take all 4 of these humanities requirements (according to the Eng’g humanities/social science guidelines) in psychology. If the one general elective requirement is unfulfilled, you can elect to take a psychology course here, leaving only one course for the minor. Note, psychology or other h/ss courses cannot fulfill technical elective requirements.

To find out the requirements for a minor or major, consult the departments in question for advice. You can usually find the information on the departmental website.

Declaring and Certifying A Minor

NOTE:  You must declare your minor in sophomore or junior year. 

Minors consist of approximately 18 credits. However, some minors are more than 18 credits. Refer to the department, Degree Navigator (dn.rutgers.edu), the RU catalog, and/or departmental websites for details on course selection and requirements.

There are two forms required: declaration and certification of the minor. When you have decided to pursue the minor (some time in your sophomore, junior, or perhaps senior year), fill out the Declaration of Minor webform.

In the final semester, fill out a form for Certification of Minor. The department from which the minor is obtained must sign the form and return it via email to upperclass@soe.rutgers.edu.  We cannot accept Certification of Minor forms from the student. If the completed/signed Certification form is not emailed directly from the department, the minor will not appear on the transcript.

Changing Engineering Majors

Careful thought should precede any change of curriculum. Students should consult the department undergraduate director or appropriate faculty advisors in the two majors. Click here for more information

Dual Engineering Majors

This option is rarely taken, but some students have elected to simultaneously complete two engineering majors. Recent examples are Biomedical and Mechanical Engineering; and Chemical and Electrical/Computer Engineering. If you are interested, please consult a B100 dean for advice.

Double Major Vs. Dual Degree

Double Major means that you must fulfill the ‘major requirements’ as described for that department (refer to the Undergraduate catalog or Degree Navigator for details). Generally, a second major is in the area of 30 credits. You would remain a School 14 student, but you would have the second major noted on your transcript. Double majors do NOT appear on your diploma, but your final official transcript will note the completion of the second major and you can market this information on your resume.

Double Major Declaration and Certification: There are two forms required: Declaration and Certification of the major. When you have decided to pursue the major (some time in your sophomore, junior, or perhaps senior year), complete the Declaration of Major form in sophomore or junior year.

Students who want to declare a second major
1. must be actively pursuing the 2nd major from a department at Rutgers-NB;
2. fill out the Declaration of Major Form;
3. get approved by the department offering the second major; and
4. email completed form to your advising dean.

In the final semester, fill out the Major Certification form. If the completed/signed Certification form is not emailed to upperclass@soe.rutgers.edu, the major will not appear on the transcript.

Dual Degree means that you have to actually apply to the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) and be accepted.  After you are accepted, you must fulfill all requirements and get your BA or BS degree certified by the SAS. This is a more involved process and includes additional work on top of the ~30 credits in order to obtain a second major.  For example, you will be required to complete additional SAS Core courses, as well as completing a minor in humanity or social sciences if you choose a technical major (such as Math, Physics, Biology, Computer Science, etc.) as your 2nd degree. You would receive two separate degrees/diplomas, one from each school. If you do not complete both degrees concurrently (example, you have a few classes left for your SAS degree, and you decide to graduate with just your BS from Engineering), you may not come back at a later date to finish your remaining classes and obtain the second degree. To apply for a Dual Degree, please consult with your advising dean at SoE.

For either option, refer to the department in which you want to get the major/degree for advice on course selection. Degree Navigator, the RU catalog, and departmental websites are also good first points of contact for details on the required courses for a major in a specific area. Once this information has been reviewed completely, see your advising dean for assistance.

BS/Master's Programs

There are also combined BS/Masters programs (BS/MBA, BS/MBS, BS/MS). Rutgers School of Engineering students are eligible to apply for admission to a variety of accelerated Masters Programs. These prestigious programs allow students to complete a Master's degree in one extra year while simultaneously integrating an undergraduate engineering experience with that of a graduate program.