Get Ready for SoE Convocation!
Rutgers University is committed to giving each of our graduates a meaningful commencement and convocation experience as we honor your accomplishments. Graduates, family, friends, and fellow students from Rutgers University–New Brunswick and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences are invited to join this year’s Commencement festivities on Sunday, May 14, 2023. President Jonathan Holloway will preside over the Commencement and confer the degrees at this event.
Graduation also includes the School of Engineering school's convocation, to be held on May 12, 2023 . During your school's convocation, you'll join your graduating class and receive individual recognition. We invite students from the schools affiliated with Rutgers University–New Brunswick and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and their guests to attend both events.
For guests unable to attend, a Live Streaming Webcast is available: TBD
*Note: Graduate students have a separate ceremony through the Graduate School of New Brunswick.
SoE Graduation Checklist
Engineering students should review each of the items in the checklist to ensure that all requirements for graduation have been completed and that nothing complicates the graduation confirmation process.
Graduates Plan Your Day
Congratulations to the Class of 2023! The School of Engineering is committed to giving each of our graduates a meaningful convocation experience as we honor your accomplishments. Graduates, family, friends, and fellow students from across the Rutgers University are invited to join this year’s festivities.
Graduation comprises of two significant events to celebrate your achievement: The School of Engineering convocation on May 12, 2023, where you’ll join your engineering graduating class, walk across the stage, and receive individual recognition, followed by The University Commencement at SHI Stadium on May 14, 2023, where all the Rutgers schools celebrate together. We hope you will plan to participate in both ceremonies for the whole experience.
School of Engineering Convocation
Friday, May 12, 2023
Time – 3:30-5:30 pm
Place - Jersey Mike’s Arena (formerly known as the Rutgers Athletic center - RAC) Livingston Campus
Doors open: 90 minutes before start for guests and parents
Pre-Ceremony Activities: The School of Engineering festivities will start at 11:00am with a lunch under a tent on the lawn at the Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering, followed by department awards ceremonies in Weeks Hall (Graduates - Look out for an electronic invitation sent from your department).
Graduate Arrival Information
- Ceremony line-up for graduates starts at 2:00pm at the back of the Jersey Mikes Arena, all students should be ready to go no later than 2:45pm. Please use the front entrance to the Jersey Mikes Arena (give yourself time, they will be checking your vaccination card - either a scanned copy of the card or you can use Docket)
- When graduates arrive, they should proceed down the North and South hallways toward the back of the arena to the CHECK-IN desks. Graduates must check in with their corresponding major to receive their personalized graduation card before lining up in the marshaling area in accordance with your first major.
What else You Need to Know
- COVID-19 Protocols: The University has recently updated the COVID-19 requirements please note that masks are not required for on-campus events effective March 10, 2022, HOWEVER we do require proof of vaccination or a COVID-19 negative PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to the event and must remain compliant with the published COVID-19 protocols.
- All travelers, foreign or domestic, must adhere to the U.S. Department of State Travel Restrictions.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT you will be checked for proof of vaccination card/PCR negative test when entering The Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering and at the Jersey Mike's Arena.
- There will be a security check at the stadium and the Jersey Mike's Arena. Please review the new Rutgers Athletics Bag Policy. Only clutches and wristlets no larger than 6.5"x 4.5" or clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC bags no larger than 12"x12"x6" will be allowed into the stadium and the RAC. Backpacks and large bags/purses are not permitted. Learn more about allowable carry-in items.
- Special Needs Seating Information at the Jersey Mike's Arena: Upon arrival at the Jersey Mike's Arena, limited handicapped seating is available. This section is on a first-come, first-served basis. Only one additional family member may sit in the special needs area with the handicap family member.. For questions related to special needs please contact 848-932-2469.
- Services Animals: Service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are allowed at the ceremony. All other animals are prohibited from the School of Engineering Convocation and the University Commencement. Visit the ADA website for details.
- Hearing Impaired: an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter will be provided at the Engineering Convocation on Friday May 13th only if you contact us at 848 445-8535.
- Live Streaming Webcast: TBD
- If you plan to arrive for the 11:00am festivities at Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering please park in lot 54 on Busch campus or you may park on Livingston Green and Yellow lot adjacent to the Jersey Mikes Arena and take the campus bus (look for the summer bus schedule) from Livingston to Busch.
- If you plan on going straight to the SoE Convocation Ceremony at the Jersey Mike's Arena, please plan on giving yourself time to find parking in the Green and Yellow Lots on Livingston Campus
- Special Needs Parking is available for guests and graduates who are unable to walk ½ mile or more in the Green and Yellow lots on Livingston campus.
- There will be a Pull Up and Drop Off service for Special Needs for the School of Engineering event on Friday May 13th in the Green Lot area behind Henry's diner, there will be two shuttles; they will start picking individuals up 90 minutes prior to the ceremony start and 1 hour post ceremony
- There are handicap parking spots indicated in the green lot, please have your DMV personal official handicap parking decal in the car for the parking attendants they will guide you to the area to park.
- If you require a wheelchair for mobility, you must bring your own wheelchair.
- To park on campus during University Commencement, May 14, 2023, graduates, and guests must have a special Commencement Parking Hangtag. Registration will be open TBD. Make sure to secure your Hangtag early.
Regalia and Honors Cords
SoE Convocation is just a few weeks away on Friday, May 12, 2023 at Jersey Mike's Arena. The University Commencement is slated for May 14, 2023 at SHI stadium. Academic regalia is required to participate in commencement and convocation ceremonies.
Rutgers–New Brunswick graduates can purchase regalia from Barnes and Noble Rutgers University Bookstore through the online store• Order online Monday, January 23 thru April 17. Receive an early bird discount by ordering January 23, 2023 through February 28!• Online orders offer these delivery options:
- Ship to store for no extra charge. Must order by February 28 and may pick up at Barnes & Noble starting April 5.
- Ship to home for an additional delivery charge. Ship to home ordering closes April 17.• Grad Fair will be held at Barnes and Noble in New Brunswick on April 5 & 6 from 10am-6pm. Join in the festivities, come for a complimentary professional headshot, and meet with representatives and see the selection of class rings, personalized announcements, diploma frames, and much more!
Please visit B100 to receive your honors cords - Offices are open for pick up Tuesdays thru Thursdays from 9:00am - 2:00pm starting TBD
Invitations, Programs & Diplomas
SoE Convocation invitations: Each student will be able to download a Digital Invitation or collect a printed paper invite (stay tuned where to pick up). NOTE: these are just announcements to the SoE ceremony, NOT tickets. No tickets are required. There is no limit on the number of guests on Friday May 12, 2023 at Jersey Mike's Arena.
Guests Coming from Another Country: If students have a guest coming from abroad and they require an invitation from Rutgers for visa/travel purposes, please email Dean Rosen (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the information needed for the letter. In most cases, the guest's name and home address is provided.
Programs: Programs for parents and guests will be available upon arrival at the Jersey Mike's Arena
Diplomas at Graduation: The actual diploma is mailed from the Registrar. More diploma info.
Photography and Video Shout Outs
- Graduation portrait images will be available as part of the Senior Activities on Friday May 12, 2023 - Please come and take photos with your friends and family in our photo booth in the Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering lobby from 11:00am - 2:00pm - 500 Bartholomew Road, Piscataway NJ 08854. GRADIMAGES will also take photos of you as you receive your diploma and cross the stage
- You’ve worked hard and it’s time to celebrate your accomplishment! Film Your Shout Out! Say Thank You: Record a shout-out to the people that have supported you throughout your college career—it might appear on the SHI stadium video board at Commencement! Filming dates are as follows: Grad Fair: TBD. Winants Hall, 7 College Avenue, New Brunswick, TBD
Department Award Festivities
ON MAY 12, 2023 LUNCH WILL BE SERVED FOR EVERYONE STARTING AT 11:00am TO 2:00PM ON THE LAWN IN FRONT OF THE RICHARD WEEKS HALL OF ENGINEERINGAEROSPACE ENGINEERING 12:00 - 2:00pm Location: TBDBIO-ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING Monday, May 16, 2022. TBDBIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING 12:00 - 1:00pm Location: TBDCHEMICAL AND BIOCHEMICAL ENGINEERING 1:00 - 2:00pm Location: TBDCIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING 12:15 - 1:15pm Location: TBDELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING 1:00 - 2:00pm Location: TBDINDUSTRIAL AND SYSTEMS ENGINEERING 12:00 - 1:00pm Location: TBDMATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 11:30 - 12:30pm Location TBDMECHANICAL ENGINEERING 12:00 - 2:00pm Location: TBDPACKAGING ENGINEERING 12:15 - 1:15pm Location: TBD