Transfer Students - Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the application deadlines?

  • Transferring from within Rutgers:

           Fall:  February 1st to June 1st

           Spring:  October 1st to December 1st

  • Transferring from outside of Rutgers:  

​          Fall:  February 1st

          Spring:  October 1st

​2. How many of my credits will transfer over?

  •  The number of credits to transfer over will vary by institution.
  •  If you are transferring from a New Jersey community college, you can check for course equivalencies on the NJTransfer site.  
  • All other transcripts will be evaluated on a course by course basis.  
  • Only courses in which a grade of "C" or higher is earned will be considered for transfer.
  • Courses transferred do not affect your GPA after you transfer in.

NOTE: Transfer credit evaluations are based on most current available course information from each institution.  Course evaluations may be modified as new information is made available.  No evaluation is final until credits appear on transcripts.

3. Can I send my transcripts to the school to be evaluated before I transfer?

  • If you are a prospective student, we encourage you to perform your own assessment using either the NJ Transfer site (for NJ community colleges), or by comparing course descriptions.  We do not, as a rule, perform full transcript evaluations until you are officially admitted to SOE.

4. Will I graduate in 2 years?

     The time to graduate will vary depending on the courses you've taken, the school you are transferring from, as well as the major you choose (NOT the total number of credits).  For department specific information, check:

     Biomedical Engineering

     Chemical and Biochemical Engineering

     Civil Engineering

     Electrical and Computer Engineering

     Mechanical Engineering

  •  If you have taken a programming course, please read the following, regarding our Introduction to Computers for Engineers course, (14:440:127)

5. If I am a student at SAS or SEBS, can I take engineering courses before transferring in?

  • For General engineering courses, non-SOE students can request an SPN from the staff in B100.
  • SPN's for engineering major courses are rarely given out, but can be requested from the Transfer Dean.
  • Check the Transfer site for more detailed information.

6. Where can I get advising?