Undergraduate students with full time status can receive Merit-Aid Scholarships for up to 4 years in total at Rutgers-NB. The scholarships are automatically renewed each year if students meet the criterion for renewal. Students do not need to submit a scholarship application for the renewal. Please note this is different from the endowed School of Engineering Scholarships for continuing students. Students will need to reapply each year in order to receive the endowed SoE scholarships.
Check Your Award Status
- Students can always check their scholarship status through the financial aid award status page. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid directly if they believe there are inconsistencies or mistakes on the award letter.
Criterion for Renewal
- Scholarship recipients must remain full-time (taking 12 or more credits each semester and complete 24 or more credits each academic year) and must pursue a BS degree in Engineering at Rutgers.
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better (3.25 or better for Presidential Scholarship). Please visit the scholarship page at the Office of Financial Aid for the detailed requirement and additional stipulation on the renewal of Merit-Aid Scholarships.
- For students in the 5-year BS/MS or BS/MBA programs, Merit-Aid Scholarships can only cover the undergraduate portion for up to 4 years. The scholarships can not be extended to the 5th year when students start their graduate studies full time. For the 5th year, students can apply for scholarships or financial support through the Graduate School.
- Students enrolled in the 5-year Bioenvironmental Engineering program (Major Code 117) are eligible to receive an one-year extension to cover the 5th year of their undergraduate study.
- Graduating seniors who need less than 12 credits but more than half time (6 credits or more) to graduate in their last semester of undergraduate studies
- Eligible to receive a prorated portion of their merit-aid scholarships based on the number of credits taken during the last semester
- Graduating Presidential scholars with part-time status living on campus are eligible to receive the R & B portion of the scholarship. Graduating Presidential scholars with part-time status living off-campus, the R & B portion will be prorated based on the number of credits; in which case, the Office of Financial Aid would require a copy of the signed lease. Please note that the commuters are not eligible for the R & B portion of the Presidential scholarship.
- The prorated Merit-Aid Scholarship will not exceed the budget, which means under no circumstance students will receive a refund check from the scholarship.
Transfer of Merit-Aid Scholarships from Another School at RU-NB
- University merit-aid scholarships (Scarlet, Carr, Trustees, Henry Rutgers, Presidential, etc.) are not automatically transferable from one school to another, because the scholarships are awarded independently by each school at the time of admission based on the highschool profile of the students.
- School of Engineering honors the merit-aid award that students were eligible to receive based on the School of Engineering standard at the time of their admission to Rutgers. Please note that since different schools may have a different standard for merit-based awards, school-to-school transfer students may lose their scholarships or qualify for a different award with a reduced amount.
- After completing one semester of full-time study in an engineering major matriculating at the School of Engineering, transfer students are eligible to apply for the SoE endowed scholarships for continuing students.
Merit-Aid Scholarship Appeal
- Students who cannot meet the renewal criterion listed above will not receive the merit-aid scholarship starting from the following academic year. The notifications of denial will be sent to the students by Rutgers Office of Financial Aid via email in late June or early July each year.
- Full-time students are eligible to request for a reinstatement once they can improve the cumulative GPA to 3.0 or better (3.25 or better for Presidential Scholarship). For reinstatements, please reach out to the SoE Scholarship Committee (scholarships @ soe.rutgers.edu) if you meet the renewal criteria for merit-aid scholarships.