Transferring out of Engineering

  1. Application guidelines: Students interested in staying at Rutgers, but transferring out of Engineering should be aware that there are specific course, application timelines, GPA, and credit restrictions when transferring to specific schools. Review carefully the requirements, deadlines, and application for school-to-school transfer for specific schools at Rutgers. To transfer into SAS, having completed Expository Writing (from Rutgers only) with at least a C (or via AP credit) and having a 2.0 cumulative gpa are required. If you have taken writing courses outside of RU SAS will not accept them as Expository Writing.
  2. Non-engineering Program: If you intend to transfer to another school within Rutgers, you may request permission for enrollment in a Non-engineering program by submission of a non-engineering form to B100. This permission allows you to enroll in non-engineering courses for one semester only and your major will be changed to Non-Engineering (001) until you transfer out. This must be followed by submitting an official school-to-school transfer application. During the non-engineering semester, you are not permitted to take any engineering coursework. If you are denied transfer, it is possible that you might not be allowed to continue in the School of Engineering. It is necessary to make sure that you have taken all off the appropriate steps for transferring.
  3. Academic Planning: Students should review the requirements for their future major and school. Departmental websites often have detailed information about majors requirements. Once exhausting information online, students can seek guidance from the major department. Other schools like SAS and SEBS use Degree Navigator. You can 'change programs' in DN, or click 'Search, Programs of Study' to see what the requirements for another major might be. Additionally, students should reach out to the future school administration should they have any questions about any general education requirements. For those interested in transferring to SAS, you can send your inquiries about general education requirements via email to