Requirements for Graduation

Academic requirements: Students have to fulfill specific gpa and curricular requirements for graduation. Please check Degree Navigator for accuracy and contact the Office of Academic Services with any questions. After reviewing Degree Navigator in its entirety for accuracy and completeness, post any discrepancies in Sakai, SOE Class 2017 (or SOE Class 2018), Forums. Seniors must also review and complete an online Graduation Check-List (in the beginning of the senior-fall semester for most students) also via Sakai, SOE Class of 2017, Quizzes.

Ceremony Info: Invitations, Cap/Gown, Honors Cords, Parking, etc.

Register for SOE graduation and Name Pronounciation (Marching Order): The Office of Academic Services will be enhancing and personalizing the May SOE ceremony to make your experience truly unforgettable. We will be utilizing the Jumbotron inside the RAC which will display live feed as each graduate walks across stage, including degree information, honors, and pre-recorded name announcement. March 20 through April 19, 2017: In order to submit and confirm that information and a name recording, you must register for graduation via the following link (using the RU email account found on, Log In, New Users.  

Diploma application:  Students MUST complete the online Diploma Application by the deadline. The online Diploma Application and deadlines are found at:*. Filling out this form does not take place of verifying with Dean Prendergast in B100 that you are on track to graduate. Failure to complete the Diploma Application will result in a delay in degree posting. 

Once OAS has reviewed seniors' files in the final semester, they will post comments in the Diploma Application so that students know their status. See the Dean Messages in the image below. 


Permanent Mailing Address:  Please update your permanent mailing address prior to graduation at Once you graduate and/or are not taking courses at RU, you may not be able to access the site.  The information in the Diploma Application and your Permanent address will be used in the printing and mailing of your diploma.

Graduation dates: Although there is only one graduation ceremony in May, there are three possible times each year to complete your degree requirements at Rutgers School of Engineering.  October, January, and May grads are automatically included in the May ceremony.

  • May Grads: Students who complete their degree requirements in the spring semester have a May graduation date. Students who have any grades or transcripts submitted after June 15th will NOT be processed as a May graduate (except for students on co-op or study abroad in the final semester). In this case, see October graduation information below.
  • January Grads: Students who complete their degree requirements in the fall semester or winter session have a January graduation date. Students who have any grades or transcripts submitted after January 31st will NOT be processed as a January graduate (except for students on co-op or study abroad in the final semester), see May graduation above.
  • October Grads: Students who complete their degree requirements in the summer session have an October graduation date. Students who have any grades or transcripts submitted after September 30th will NOT be processed as a October graduate (except for students on co-op or study abroad in the final semester), see January graduation above.

Marching: If you do NOT complete all degree requirements by the day of Graduation, it may still be possible to participate in the commencement ceremony as a MARCHER. Marchers wear cap and gown, go up on stage, and receive a certificate (just like the actual graduates do). In order to be eligible to participate in graduation as a MARCHER, you must submit a Permission to March application and you must meet the following criteria:

  • No more than 9 credits remaining after spring semester to be taken in summer or fall.
  • If you have any courses to take next spring, you cannot march this year.
  • 2.0+ gpa in major and overall at the time the application is subitted.   

Permission to March Application can be submitted between spring break and mid-April (April 14, 2017) to have your name appear in the program. Complete the form, and return to B100 for approval. You will be notified via email if you are approved or denied.

Diplomas: At graduation, when you walk across the stage, you will be handed a certificate. The actual diploma is mailed from the Registrar at another time. The mailing address is based on the information you provide in the Diploma Application.  For more questions about the distribution of diplomas, contact

All students must complete a Diploma Application and update the permanent mailing address so that the diploma lists your name correctly and is mailed to the appropriate place.  After all requirements have been completed and all grades, transcripts, etc. have been received and processed, the SoE will have the Registrar post your degree on the RU transcript in June (September or January for October and January grads). Diplomas will be distributed by the Registrar soon thereafter.  For more questions about the distribution of diplomas, contact

Degree Verification and Transcripts
Once the degree is posted to the transcript, the official transcript, noting the completed degree, can be ordered from the Registrar. The Registrar will handle diploma distribution (in the way indicated on the Diploma Application). Note, all holds (see holds below) must be cleared before a transcript or diploma can be issued.  

Rutgers University, Office of the Registrar, 65 Davidson Road, ASB-200B,Piscataway, NJ 08854-8096 - Telephone: (848) 445-7000 - Internet:  - Email:

Taking courses after graduation: Once all requirements for the B.S. degree have been met, the student graduates. This is non-negotiable. The graduation date cannot be arbitrarily changed. Students can take courses after graduating as a non-matriculated student. As a non-matric, grades do not count in the gpa. 

Holds: It is your responsibility to check whether you have a hold on your account for any reason. If you have a hold, you will NOT receive your diploma. You may check with the Registrar, ASB, Busch (848-445-4111) prior to May 1st to find out if there is a hold against your name. No amount is too small for your diploma to be withheld: unpaid parking tickets, a library book, immunization, unpaid tuition or fees. CLEAR ALL HOLDS NOW!!

Grade Changes/Transfer Credits: Grade changes and awards of transfer credits for semesters other than the Spring semester must be submitted by May 1st in order to be processed in time for graduation. Students who have any grades or transcripts submitted after June 15th will NOT be processed as a May graduate (except for students on co-op or study abroad in the final semester). If you anticipate any delays, you should contact a Dean in B100 by email or in person during office hours.

Minors and Second Majors: If you have completed or will be completing a minor or second major (non-engineering major), you MUST fill out a Certification of Minor/Major form in order to get credit for the minor (ie post the major/minor on your transcript). Minors and second majors appear on the transcript only, not on the diploma. There are not other certificates or methods of recognition for minors/double majors other than the transcript and whatever you choose to post on your resume.

SPECIAL NOTICE TO SENIORS: Past experience indicates that there will be many seniors who, for some reason or another, will not complete all of your degree requirements as scheduled. I want you to understand now that if there are any problems with the actual completion of your degree which would prevent inclusion of your name on the official graduation list, you will be notified by letter to your email address the week after graduation. Since diplomas are no longer given out at graduation, the main issue is to complete the requirement for the official receipt of degree/diploma.  If you should receive an email, respond to the email (or come to the Office of Academic Services) to correct the problem, or make arrangements for deferring your graduation date to October or later.